Friday, November 5, 2010

broccoli and almond soup


Anthony has started to make fun of me when we eat out. Whatever the restaurant, I always choose soup and salad. Italian, Chinese, Mediterranean, or fusion menus, it's always the same for me. I choose a bowl of warm veggies complemented by a side of veggies! I can't help it if I know what I like.

Even if you are not veggie mad, as I am, soup is a great way to enjoy vegetables. Innovative pairings such as broccoli and almonds make it fun to try new soups.

Broccoli and Almond Soup
adapted from Soup Glorious Soup by Annie Bell
serves 6

500 g broccoli (1 large head)
2 T (25 g) unsalted butter
1 T olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 celery heart, or two celery stalks
1/3 c (50 g) flaked almonds
1.4 L chicken or vegetable stock or water
150 ml white wine
salt and pepper

Cut up the broccoli stalks and florets separately. Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, celery, broccoli stalks, and almonds (reserving a few almond slices for garnish). Fry for 10 minutes, until soft.
Meanwhile, heat the stock to boiling in another pan. Choose a few small florets for the garnish and cook them in the boiling stock for 2 minutes, then set aside.
Add the white wine to the onion mixture and let it cook down until it's syrupy. Then add the broccoli florets and the stock and return to the boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes, then season and puree with an immersion blender or in an upright blender.
Serve the soup garnished with the reserved almond slices and broccoli florets.

This recipe is from my birthday cookbook--and so is the lovely new bowl. The charming pink bowl and the hot, tasty soup made me very happy. Now all I need is a salad on the side!

3 comments:

AlessioFangano said...

Happy birthday Sarah! :) nice warming soup you have here, gotta love the foodies broccoli-connection lol Will post mine as soon as I will kick my butt out of this chair ;)
Lovely bowl 2!

Sarah said...

Alessio, I am looking forward to seeing your soup, too.

Anonymous said...

I made this yummy soup today... It's so tastyyyyyy... Thanks for sharing your recepies..

Alida

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and reading. I look forward to your comment and please feel free to ask questions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails