Friday, September 13, 2013

Cucumber Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette

All last school year, every Monday I went to a group personal training session. A trainer came to work and a small group of us pushed ourselves through a punishing number of of press ups, burpees, TRX rows, and the like. I did this every Monday. Every Monday, that is, except one.


One certain week I was running late and didn’t leave my desk on time. Then I discovered I had forgotten my socks. And I was tired, a bit grumpy, and feeling lazy. I just gave in to the excuses and went home. It was the first time I had skipped a session. And I regretted it almost immediately.

As I got home I was really sad that I gave in to my excuses. Now I know that not having socks is just an excuse not to exercise; I know because the very next day I didn’t have socks and I went for a run anyway. I was not going to use that excuse a second time. I would have been too ashamed to ditch another workout so easily in the same week.

Now that I know what my potential excuses are, it seems easier to deal with them. I sometimes use the excuse of feeling tired; I try to deal with that excuse by reminding myself that exercise gives me energy. (Sidebar: I don’t exercise when I’m feeling sick and tired. Rest days are important, too.) Another excuse that has popped up recently is that it is too hot in Singapore to run outside; ugh, it’s been up to 30 C recently. So I deal with that excuse by going for a shorter run, or allowing myself walking breaks, or going at a cooler time of day. And when it gets truly unbearable, the treadmill is a good air-conditioned option.


Moving on to the subject of healthy eating. I also use excuses to avoid eating healthfully. Excuses such as not having a key ingredient, feeling tired, and being a bit grumpy and lazy. But I have learned that these are excuses that can be dealt with. Having an arsenal of healthy, easy recipes is my main strategy. And trying new things, because then I feel less bored with healthy eating.

This cucumber salad is just what I need: a new idea, cumin vinaigrette, added to a laughably easy recipe. There are no excuses when eating healthy is this easy.

Cucumber Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette
adapted from Speed Vegan: Quick, Easy Recipes with a Gourmet Twist

serves 4 as a generous side dish

4 cucumbers
1/3 c chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)

for the vinaigrette:
1/2 t cumin seeds or ground cumin
1/4 c (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
2 T lemon juice
1 T maple syrup
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T wholegrain mustard
7 cloves of garlic, minced or pounded
1/2 t salt
1/4 t chilli powder or cayenne

Cut the cucumbers in half and then into slices.
Mix in a large bowl with the cilantro.

Heat a small pan and dry toast the cumin for a few minutes until fragrant.
Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together.
Toss with the salad and serve.

Do you succumb to excuses not to be healthy?
What advice can you share?


Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails