Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Chilli Chicken Wraps

I always enjoy the recipes from our Wednesdays with Donna Hay blogging group. Memorably, we have made feta and eggplant meatballs (the best meal I have ever cooked) and spinach with sesame dressing (the recipe with the fastest cooking time on this blog). This week's recipe is from a book I don't own: Off the Shelf by Donna Hay. My fellow blogging friends kindly offered to send me details, but I decided to take a gamble this week and make it up!


Actually, that is a slight exaggeration. I did some internet searching. I learned about a subscription website called Eat Your Books that compiles a searchable database of recipes from the cookbooks that you own. As a non-subscriber, you can still access the ingredients lists from cookbooks in their system. (By the way, ingredients lists can't be copyrighted. It's the methods and other writing that is copyright.) I found the ingredients list for Donna's chilli chicken wraps and decided I could make it by instinct.

Cooking by instinct has been on my mind lately. It's something we all do all the time, without pondering it. We look in the fridge and combine whatever we find there into something to eat. Most of the time you might not follow a recipe, but just cook whatever you have using a method you have used dozens of times before.

I follow a recipe when I try something new. And I follow a recipe that I've memorized over time quite regularly. But all the rest of the times it's just "combine and cook" by instinct.

So I took the ingredients list for chilli chicken wraps and made what you see pictured. The version for my husband additionally included two flatbreads, into each of which I placed two of the lettuce wraps. (Anthony eats wheat but I don't.) I have written the (rough) recipe below, but feel free to just take the ingredients and do it your way, by your own instinct.

Chilli Chicken Wraps
serves 1

4 lettuce leaves
1 small carrot
some cooked chicken
about 1 T sweet chilli sauce

Lay out the lettuce leaves on a plate.
Thinly slice or grate the carrot and divide it among the leaves. Add the chicken and drizzle over the sauce.

This dish is part of our Wednesdays with Donna Hay blogging group. If you want to join us, next week we are making butter and parmesan linguine from Modern Classics 1. Visit the others in my blogging group to see if they liked the recipe: Margaret from Tea and Scones, Gaye from Laws of the Kitchen, and Chaya from Bizzy Bakes.

When do you follow a recipe and when do you cook by instinct?

Connect with Simply Cooked on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/SimplyCooked

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails